Thursday, April 7, 2011

March Pages - 39 down, 11 to go!

26.                  Read 50 books or more.

Several great books in March - and a couple of others.  ;)  Here are my reviews!

35.      Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
Awesome, awesome book.  I loved her first book, Seabiscuit, and this one stands up to that high expectation as well.  It was a difficult book to read because of the subject material - every page just racked me as the story went on.  I can't recommend this highly enough - if you don't know why this has been #1 on the NY Times Bestsellers, you need to find out. 

36.      The Devil in the White City
The Devil in the White City:  Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America
Um... can you say creepy?!  Loved this true story.  My friend Anneliese (yes, the same one I am metaphorically walking to see) recommended this when we visited them in Chicago, but I just had not ever gotten around to reading it. Then my friend Georgia picked it for Book Club, and I loved having that excuse.  :)  Great book, but yes, creepy.  Very insightful and a smorgasboard of little known history facts.  Put it on your list. 

37.      The Beekeeper’s Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice: Or On the Segregation of the Queen/A Novel of Suspense Featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (Mary Russell Novels)
Georgia also picked this one for Book Club.  I was really excited about it because I've been intrigued with Sherlock Holmes of late - but it couldn't keep me interested.  While her character ideas were fun and fresh, it felt sort of forced, and as if she borrowed a great story in hopes of making one of her own.  I think she might have done better just creating a fresh line all together.  Elementary, my dear Watson. 

38.      Toes by Tor Seidler

Toes
Bailey asked me to read this book some time ago and this was the time.  A sweet story, but really sad.  Sad start, middle okay, sad ending.  I liked the book, but on some level thought I might need to call my therapist after reading it.  It was like Marley and Me but worse, and for kids.  :(

39.      Love the One You’re With by Emily Giffin

Love the One You're With
This is what my sister Crissi and I call an Airport Book.  Fast, easy to read, not going to change my life in any way, but fun.  A lot like Giffin's other books and worth a look.

SO much to read, so little time!  Off we go to April.

No comments:

Post a Comment