Monday, March 7, 2011

February Books

26.                  Read 50 books or more.

So, I'm finally  having a chance to post my books from February.  I was able to read five, so I'm up to a total of 33 read out of my 50.  Plus I just finished one I can't wait to rave about next month in March reads!  Here are the books from February.

29.      Three Willows:  The Sisterhood Continues by Ann Brashares
3 Willows: The Sisterhood Grows (3 Willows (Hardback))
I can't begin to say how much I enjoyed reading The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares, so I thought this looked sort of interesting.  But it just didn't have the clever spark I liked in the other series.  Not a bad read, but found myself skimming a lot, hoping to move the story along a little faster. 

30.      ScreamFree Marriage by Hal Runkel
ScreamFree Marriage: Calming Down, Growing Up, and Getting Closer
My friend Hal Runkel wrote this book, as a follow up to his outstanding book ScreamFree Parenting.  This one is fresh off the press and definitely one to put on your reading list.  Both books by Hal give insight into relationships in general, as well as to parenting and marriage.  Also, be sure to check out their website at http://www.screamfree.com/site/PageServer to learn more about their practices and their mission. 

31.      Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
I just had to finish The Hunger Games trilogy.  It kept calling to me from the book basket - "Read me!  Read me!"  I have so enjoyed this series, but with a twinge of guilt must say that I felt it ended with exhaustion.  It seemed like Collins sort of gave up on tying up the loose ends and went for a deal changer instead.  I don't want to say more in case you read it, AND I hope you will.  A fun story line, very different and engaging - so worth it.  Just have mixed feelings on the end. 

32.    Alberic the Wise by Norton Juster and Leonard Baskin
Alberic the Wise
This may not even be fair to count, because it is such a short book.  But - I am counting it because I think it is something I continue to chew on.  I discovered this book just recently - it is written by Norton Juster, who happens to have penned my very favorite book in the whole world, The Phantom Tollbooth.  I was thrilled to discover that he had written other things.  I had to do some work to get a copy of this book - it is used, with library binding - but I love the stories that conjures up for me too.  If you can find it, read it.  It really makes you think.  Obviously - a very "WISE" tale, just as you'd expect. 

33.     The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery
This is one of our book club books this quarter.  I read it when we went out to Texas and enjoyed it.  A very fun, sort of different little read.  It reads like old mystery, and the characters were different and engaging.  The only thought I had to the contrary was that everything in the mystery really needed to be unpacked and explained; there weren't enough foreshadowing details to wrestle with it so much as a reader.  Just bit by bit things were revealed.  But I liked the heroine, a young girl named Flavia, and a few times even laughed out loud.   I'll take that any day of the week.

More posts are coming super fast this week - I have a lot to share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment