Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fun-Over


5.                  Take my kids out of town by myself.

This morning I definitely have a fun-over.  I just returned yesterday from a 4 night romp with my kids in Orlando.  We had the most amazing time, but we are pretty much knee walking this morning.  Who knew fun could be so exhausting?

I learned a lot in being the "single parent" on a big trip.  There is no time off.  You are ON 24-7.  And believe me, we were ON.  We opened every park we went to and we closed a few down.  We ran it HARD.  I never felt overwhelmed (much because of the ages of my kids) - but I did appreciate the way it feels to have another adult to share duties with.  Right now as I type this is the first time I have been alone in days.

But - and this is a huge kudos to my kids - they were amazing.  Before we left I just laid down the rule that I would be the only parent, and so they would have to chose before we even left home to be flexible.  They were.  Except for just being worn out, no one was even grumpy.  I know you'll think I'm making this up, but honestly I heard very few complaints (mostly about the melting heat, and I felt the same) and get ready for this - I heard A LOT of THANK YOUs!!  I have to say, for your kids to give unprompted and heart felt thanks is a wonderful thing.  I really, really enjoyed their company. 

There is really a ton I could say about this time away.  But for now, I'll just say I'm glad I did it.  I'm grateful we COULD do it.  I'll always remember and cherish this time! 

And now, I'll go nurse my fun-over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment